I haven’t done a project blog in regards to tech in like forever. In fact, I haven’t blogged in like forever. HI! So yeah I finished Persona 5 (hence the picture) and it took around 90 hours. And that game is a JRPG. And I am working on a JRPG so see it is kind of relevant right!
So today, I am talking about how I am doing some of my data tools. JRPG are giant houses of numbers. It is like your overpacked loft… but instead of the random crap you have collected, it is numbers. And you want to be able to change these numbers all the time for balancing.
As I said before I built a sort of equivalent CMS system in my game. It is the loosest phrase of “content management system”, but as I said in the previous post, I modelled what I was doing by separating data, etc from my work at MediaTonic, who have a quite frankly world class CMS that is hundreds of times better than others I have used. Like I mentioned previously, I make heavy use of scriptable objects:
For some designers, however, double-clicking on the curve and editing it from the editor can be quite cumbersome. And writing Editor GUI code in Unity is quite frankly out of the question, because it is well… horrible… so I came up with a slightly better solution.
Google sheets. In google sheets you can build your data really nicely, view it in graphs and curves to see progression and can be used for balancing.
I came up with a sheet schema as above and then wrote some a little editor script:
And also a static parsing class to parse the data from a csv file to my game data:
What the editor script does is add this little button to my battle character scriptable objects:
And uses the parsing code to fill out those curves.
Therefore we can use the power of a spreadsheet program to plot our graphs and then load the data in and apply it to our scriptable object.